A Harvard University study set out to determine the link between stress, testosterone levels, and successful men. The researchers found that the key to success has a lot to do with managing stress. That may seem to make sense emotionally, but how can you be expected to be a leader if you are stressed out? However, they also found a deep biological connection to stress and success.
Stress produces the stress hormone cortisol. Cortisol reduces your testosterone levels. According to the Harvard University study, that reduction of testosterone also reduces your ability to be an effective leader.
Testosterone Levels and Success
Basically the researchers found that:
- Men with high testosterone levels and low cortisol levels had the most employees under them and so were the most profitable businesses.
- Men with high testosterone levels, but with HIGH cortisol had somewhat fewer employees and had somewhat less successful businesses.
- Men with LOW testosterone levels and HIGH cortisol had the LEAST number of employees and the least profitable businesses.
Gary Sherman, Ph.D., lead researcher on the study said: “Stress reduction has leadership implications. It can unleash leadership potential in employees who might otherwise not show it.”
The study concluded that a man’s testosterone and cortisol levels could be a good indicator of his abilities as a leader.
Testosterone Replacement Therapy
Stress in the workplace can create a downward spiral of increased cortisol and decreasing testosterone levels. This can lead to the condition commonly known as “burnout.”
Men in their 40s or 50s are even more susceptible to this problem. Especially if they are running their own businesses or are working at a job facing younger competition.
Will testosterone replacement therapy make you a better leader? Can testosterone optimization improve your performance at work? Or can it help your business crush the competition? Maybe, but what I do know, is that men who have received testosterone replacement therapy from me have experienced:
- Improved strength and vitality
- Better sleep
- Reduction of belly fat and increased muscle mass
- Improved bone density
- Improved cognition and better focus
- Improved mood, less anxiety and depression
- Increases in sex drive and sexual performance
There is only one way to determine if you are a candidate for testosterone optimization. You must see your doctor and have your testosterone levels checked. If you are found to be suffering from low testosterone levels, you may benefit from hormone replacement therapy.
For Your Health,
Dr. Joseph Gambardella, Dr. Todd Brown and Dr. Benjamin Erb